It’s that time of the year when we get to draw the recipient of the Cloud Assess Annual iPad Giveaway Competition. Annnnnnd….the lucky winner is David Elliot, Electrical Educator from Bizmatrix.
David couldn’t believe his luck and said, he often tells his students that he’s giving away an iPad. To their dismay, he presents them with a piece of bandage used to protect the eye.
David is polite and extremely funny so we thought we’d quiz him for 60 seconds to get to know him in a little better. We found out what got him into training, his proudest achievement and the best part of his role as an Educator.
60 Seconds starts… now:
- Tell us about your RTO and position within the organisation:
Bizmatrix is an RTO that provides Trade Training within the Gas and Electrical Industries. My predominant role is in Electrical Education in its many varied forms.
- What got you into the training industry?
I wanted to provide a more structured delivery for the Training of apprentices while working as an Electrician on-site.
- Tell us about the industry you work in?
I work within the electrical industry on everything from Domestic installations to the newest production processing equipment available worldwide.
- What is the best part of the work you do?
I thoroughly enjoy the Training aspect, where I get to interact and offer my experience and practical advice to students.
- What is the most challenging part of your role?
Training package creation without a clear direction.
- What is your proudest achievement at work?
When students ‘’apply’’ the skills and knowledge gained through training to solve complex problems.
- When you were a student, who was the person who inspired you most and why?
Unfortunately, my experience hasn’t always been favourable, so I want to be the change in the Industry. I endeavour always to be supportive, positive and patient with my students.
- What’s the best advice you give to students / what is your favourite saying?
‘’If the theory isn’t making sense, don’t be afraid to ask me to explain further as I guarantee you won’t be the only one.’’
- If you could give one piece of advice to someone starting out in the training industry, what would it be?
You will work with some very talented people with decades of experience and knowledge, so consider their advice carefully, but you need to train your own way.
- What would you say to someone thinking about registering for a training course?
‘Begin’’. There are pathways for most careers available to you, so review the course structure, pre-requires and expected hours to see if that course is suitable. Your training journey may require a few smaller steps to build your skills and confidence. Just remember that every surgeon first began learning how to apply a band-aid
- What’s the best thing that has happened to you this year?
Bumping into a previous student who revealed his training allowed him to change jobs to a permanent /better paying role which allowed his young family to save a deposit for a house and that they are excited for what the future holds.
- Why do you think RTOs love Cloud Assess?
The clean, intuitive nature of the software with wonderful integration between assessment and compliance
Congratulations to David and thank you to everyone who took part. Wishing you all a safe and merry Christmas and a wonderful 2023.